Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My own worst enemy

It is entirely possible that, in this scary world of dating, I am my own worst enemy. I am the girl that is really good at giving wise and sound advice to her friends, but fails miserably in taking that advice herself.

Why am I like this? More than one person has commented lately that I have a tendency to project negative feelings on my new relationships (i.e. "I'm so gonna jinx this"..."I know I'll find a way to screw this up"...etc.). It is a bad habit that I need to work on, but it's hard to shake years of history, ya know?

Another thing that sabotages me is my lack of patience. I have never been the girl who plays it cool and just "waits to see what will happen." Again - this is something I'm working on, but it's killing me!! When I meet someone I like, it drives me nuts to not know for sure what his feelings are on the matter. After a couple of dates, I have to sit on my hands to keep myself from texting or IMing someone to see if they had as much fun as I did. I know, I know......that type of behavior can be classified as clingy / desperate / any number of unpleasant things. I just am not patient enough to play the waiting game.

I am not good at dating. I want to date. I love to meet new people. I need to shake things up from time to time. However, I've just about reached the conclusion that - until I can find someone who will be my dating coach, I really need to sit things out. It's safer that way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'd offer to be your Dating Coach, but I puke on their shoes and forget their names, so I'd say I probably wouldn't be the best choice. And what are these "relationship" things you speak of? Interesting word ... kinda crafty.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't follow in my shoes or you'll end up with a "relationship" where the crazy ex wife is constantly dominating your life & your beau's life because of her mental illness...then you'll start to feel as though you are getting put on the back burner because someone else's feelings are being put ahead of yours all for the sake of "keeping her sane" (WHICH by the way is a complete and utter impossibility!! URGH!)

<3 <3 <3
Nicole

Anonymous said...

I don't think you need a dating coach (just the thought of a dating coach makes me laugh). Maybe you just need to date MORE. It might seem counterintuitive, but maybe these guys are making you so anxious at the second date because you're just not going on enough dates?

Oh, what do I know? I'm the queen of dating dysfunction.