Thursday, December 11, 2008

Compliments of...........

When was the last time you received a compliment? A real, genuine compliment? Been stopped a complete stranger to have them say a few nice words to you? Mark Twain once said that he could "live for two weeks on a good compliment." My best friend and I were blessed to receive a touching compliment today.

As I do every Thursday, I had lunch with my best friend. And, as we do every Thursday, we talked incessently about what was going on in our lives. We each have struggles, frustrations, and challenges we face.......yet we always end up laughing to the point of tears. Today was no exception. Whether it was the bestest's story about her previous night's rehearsal, or my own quip about the joke my Dad played on me today, we found ourselves laughing constantly as we shared our meal.

When the older couple in the booth behind us got up to leave, the lady approached us. She said, "In these trying days that we live in, it sure is nice to go out in public and still hear people sharing the joy of laughter. Thank you for making our lunch so great!"

By doing what best friends naturally do when they're together - giggle a bit too loudly - we had inadvertently brightened someone's day. However, the joy this kind stranger showed to us by taking the time to pay us such a lovely compliment can't be measured.

When somebody touches your life in some small way - tell them! It takes just a few seconds, but the memory of the compliment will last longer than you'll know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I'm with Twain. I'll take a compliment over just about anything (certainly over flowers or chocolates).

I'm going to try to be mindful about doling out more of those compliments.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

It is true - I always remember compliments given to me by complete strangers.